Thursday, April 24, 2008

My Granola

Okay, it's not really my granola. But it's been about four years since I discovered Steve Silverman's recipe for Cranberry Almond Granola, and though I've tried other granola recipes, I keep coming back to this one.

There's no outrageous secret here; the granola incorporates run-of-the-mill ingredients like almonds, pecans, coconut and cranberries, oats, cinnamon and allspice. But the devil's in the details: you want sliced or slivered almonds; they crunch better than plain old chopped almonds. Use organic cranberry juice concentrate--which, melted, makes up the liquid portion of the granola mixture, along with brown sugar and a little vegetable oil--it's not nearly as cloying as the non-organic kind. And don't stir the granola too often while it's baking so you get some clumps. Sure, you can mix in your favorite ingredients, swap hazelnuts for pecans, whatever you like. It's still a great granola, easy, not too sweet, healthy and crunchy.

Make some for Mom on Mother's Day. Tie it up in a pretty little package and call it your granola. I won't tell.--S

No comments: